Update: How to Request Temporary Home or Hospital Tutoring (New Form and Guidance)

Massachusetts law requires public schools to provide home or hospital tutoring if all the following conditions are met:

  1. The student is enrolled in public school or placed by a public school in a private setting, and

  2. The student's physician provides a written order that states that the student must remain at home or in the hospital for medical reasons for at least fourteen school days within the school  year.

You can read the Question and Answer Guide on the Implementation of Educational Services in the Home or Hospital (603 CMR 28.03(3)(c)) and 28.04(4)) here.

If you believe your child requires home or hospital tutoring, you should do the following:

  1. Have your child's physician complete this form (form was changed in August 2018);

  2. Send the form to your child's principal; and

  3. Keep a copy of the form for your records.  

Schools frequently challenge the legal sufficiency of home or hospital tutoring requests.  If you are having trouble securing home or hospital tutoring for your child, contact Wong & Boscarine, LLC.